Sunday, February 5, 2012

Dawa ya moto ni moto

'Dawa ya moto ni moto' is Swahili for 'the medicine for heat is heat.' That must explain why I am drinking a cup of hot tea at 4:30 in the afternoon on a day when crossing the twelve feet of sunny courtyard seems like it would b crossing the entire arid expanse of the Sahara.

It's even hotter today. Stunned from the heat. I feel like a wilted piece of kale ready to be thrown in the compost. Hope it's not hotter again tomorrow.

Went to church this morning. It was fun and memorable, especially for me to sing in Swahili. Fortunately reading the hymns is phonetic so singing along was possible as long as I did not lose my place. (Somalian is a bit more difficult for me since the words are not pronounced as spelled). The sermon kept giving thanks for security at church and stating if this was the last Sunday for them, they would be ok with whatever happens becauses it would be in worship. I'm not sure my devotion is at the same level and may or may not go to church next week since I also agree the church could be a target and sadly I did feel nervous. Church is next to the police station and well patrolled however. The singing and warmth of the congregation was very special and being the only five white people, we were welcomed kindly. There was much song, hand holding, clapping and fellowship. During church they gave me a bookmark to remember the Daadab International Worship Centre by. It was a beautiful gathering and, even without the bookmark, these loving and devout people will remain in my heart forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment