Monday, January 30, 2012

Chai and mandazi welcome

From the air the red dusty plains turned to a creamy dusty color punctuated by shrubs, goats, camels and people. Webs of trails congealed into roadways then shanties. The plane lurches and bounces  then we are on the runway and the only strip of pavement I have seen for miles and miles. A three minute drive to our compound through Dadaab. Inside it is hot and dusty, but relatively peaceful. There is the sounds of goats, engines and an occasional voice. The diesel hum of the generator can be felt and heard. Frying meat fat and spices scent the courtyard near the kitchen. A skinny cat near the kitchen door is gnawing on an unidentified knuckle from what I assume is a sign of the cook's  generosity.

The wind only seems to make it hotter and dustier. I've claimed a bottom bunk in a room with five other beds (and people). We'll see who snores.

First thing on arrival was chai (tea) and mandazi (fried dough) and then I introduced myself to the toilet. Pit toilet- or squatty potty, if you prefer. I'll spare the details except to say that aim will be as important as strong thighs.

Orientation included tips on sleeping in the hot, still air. The advice is to soak your top sheet in water before bed. It's hot, dry and dusty. I wonder if I soak the sheet if I will wake up in mud with all the dust in the air.

Today we arrange our medicines for travel and tomorrow out for one of the clinics with the goal to consult on difficult patients for the local health providers and offer general clinical education. We will be primarily working in the border towns of Kokar, Damajale, Hamey and Dhobley. We also may be entering some other villages that don't have an healthcare services. I'll try and post a map once available.

No comments:

Post a Comment